Monday 26 August 2013

The Man at the Canteen - Boronia

Due to time constraints I was not able to sample any of the food on offer at either Westvale or Cairnlea this weekend, particularly disappointing for myself was reading the twitter updates after the matches and seeing that Cairnlea had 'old school' shish kebab on the menu! Oh well, another time perhaps.

On Sunday however I made my first ever trip to Boronia Soccer Club for the local derby between Boronia and Bayswater. I don't normally get to eat at these matches due to my own participation, but today after the match I was able to sample some of the local food.

As it was an important day for these two clubs Boronia had put on a family day which not only involved the visit of the Bayswater Womens, Reserves and Seniors, but also coincided with the visit of Montrose Soccer Club for a Bayside Div 2, Legends and Junior Fixture.

Boronia started off the day winning the Womens Fixture 3-1 and followed that up with the Reserves also getting up, this time 2-1. Bayswater did notch a win in the main match with their Seniors beating Boronia comfortably 4-1.

However, not all the action was on the pitch, off the park under Boronias expansive verandah the webber was on cooking up a few magnificent roasts for after the matches had concluded!

Served up for the players and fans was a magnificent Lamb & Pork Roast with a coleslaw and baked potatoes. After putting a bit of everything on my plate, I grabbed a few slices of bread and once I inhaled the potato I crammed the rest into a sandwich, threw my plate like a frisbee into the nearest bin and positioned myself on some grass so people couldn't see the mess spilling out from the overloaded bread and landing at my feet. Of course it was absolutely superb.

Now to wash down that absolute feast of food, Boronia again supplied. Their bar is stocked with the best line up of beers I have seen in the Bayside League. As well as the usual local beers, they also had good stock of Grolsch, Stella Artois, Sail & Anchor, Coldstream Cider & Kilkenny. If my memory was better I could name more.

For those that know me, I will always try a beer I have never had before and two bottles from Hopper Whitman immediately caught my eye, The Amber Ale and The Nut Brown Ale both and both went down very well.

All up it was a great day at Boronia, a very hospitable club.

No comments:

Post a Comment