Monday 9 September 2013

The Man at the Canteen - Darebin United

Fridays at my place of work is the day all the employees get together and order a take away of some description, I was hankering for a Souvlaki, but I was unfortunately out voted and had to settle for Pizza (again).

I made it my mission on Saturday to find a club who could do a good Souvlaki, I was tossing up between a few games to travel to although there was no real stand out for the smaller round of catchup games.

Moreland City's encounter against Sydenham Park was on my shortlist so I started searching around for another fixture nearby. Low and behold Darebin United were at home to Northern Falcons just a kilometre away. Their logo (which features the Greek God Apollo) had Souvlaki written all over it so I was sold.

As the grounds were so close together, I decided to park at Moreland and walk to Darebin. After my quick stroll across the Merri Creek Valley separating the grounds I arrived at the far side of Mayer Park nose high in the air hoping for a whiff of the familiar odour of meat and garlic. Nothing straight away and with little action at the club house on the far side I was a little concerned.

I kept on moving towards to pavilion, still getting nothing on the radar. I had a look at the locals, there were a few supporters from both sides and nobody was eating so I started to formulate a Plan B in my head, until like a shining beacon I saw it, a few of the old boys tucked away in the corner were shielding it from the wind, but I know a spit when I see it.

Excited I went straight to the window and ordered one of their finest, found a quiet unoccupied bench behind the goal and went to work on it. It looked fantastic, a proper souv in a wrap, not a roll, it was a little light on the filling considering it was $8 on the price list, for that price I want it to be jam packed! The Garlic Sauce could of been knocked up a notch or two, but I am a man who loves his garlic, so it might of been perfect for others who don't like reeking of the stuff.

Still it was delicious, it was a pity the match wasn't up to the same standard, but let's face it, this time I wasn't attracted by the football so it was still a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment